Why is Skin Protection Important Year-Round?
At Wirth Plastic Surgery, Dr. Garrett Wirth is committed to helping you have healthy, glowing skin, 365 days of the year. We are always working to discover the best ways to help you look and feel your best, from top to toe. We strive to share information that protects you and keeps you healthy — and that includes protecting your largest organ – your skin!
Let’s talk about the sun and sunscreen
The sun is one of the biggest culprits in premature aging. Its ultraviolet (UV) rays impact us daily, regardless of the weather. To counteract the UV rays, Dr. Wirth recommends protecting your skin with a water-resistant, broad-spectrum, sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher on all skin that your clothing does not cover, applied at least 15 minutes before you go outside. (Remember to reapply it every two hours if you are outdoors, go swimming, or perspire a lot.)
What are some additional suggestions?
Here are some of Dr. Wirth’s recommendations for other ways to defend your skin:
- Find the shade, wearing long-sleeved shirts, pants, hats with wide brims, and sunglasses with UV protection: Because no sunscreen can protect you against all UV rays, the shade, long-sleeved shirts, pants, hats with wide brims, and sunglasses with UV protection help keep your skin looking youthful, and ward off the development of wrinkles, lines, and sun damage.
- Face cleansing: To keep your skin clear, Dr. Wirth suggests washing your face when you wake, before you go to bed, and/or after sweating to remove grime, bacteria, or dirt. We recommend using lukewarm water to dampen your face, applying a mild cleanser in a circular motion, rinsing it off with more lukewarm water, and then using a clean towel to pat your face dry.
- Know your skin type and use products formulated for it: Dr. Wirth and our team can help you determine if you are prone to oily skin, dry skin, or normal skin, and help you select products that are best for your specific skin type.
- Moisturize daily: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, “Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance… Apply creams or lotions while your skin is still damp from a shower or bath to lock in the moisture and get the best results.” We agree! Moisturizing your skin while it is plump from the shower can help keep it hydrated and refreshed.
- Using a self-tanner instead of the sun or a tanning bed: Tanning can cause premature aging of your skin. Tanning beds can cause real damage. Self-tanner is a safer, healthier way to get that summer glow.
- Reduce stress: Stress can wreak havoc on your skin, including causing flare-ups of skin conditions like acne, eczema, rosacea, and psoriasis. Dr. Wirth and our team offer services like facials, acne treatments, and more in our Med Spa to support you.
Year-round protection with Wirth Plastic Surgery
Dr. Wirth and our team are available to help you with your skin protection needs, customized just for you. Whether it is a visit to our Med Spa, a consultation, or for surgical enhancement, we want to help you look and feel beautiful, every day of the year.