Will There Be Side Effects with Breast Surgery?
Know What to Expect from Breast Surgery
If you are considering getting any sort of breast surgery, it is important to look at what the before-and-after effects will be. In this article, we will discuss the differences experienced before and after breast augmentation, breast lifts, and breast reductions. It is important that you know what to expect from your surgery with Doctor Garrett Wirth, and that you have an idea of what the final results of your surgery may be. No one wants to pay for results they may not receive, so let’s discuss some of the options here.
First, let’s discuss the effects before and after a breast lift. An example of a candidate for a breast lift would be a woman who suffers from a saggy or loose breast profile. Not only that, but a woman who wants a tighter and more youthful looking breast profile may benefit from a breast lift. Some reasons a woman may be struggling with an issue that warrants a breast lift include:
- Dramatic weight fluctuations
Luckily, a breast lift can help in these situations and help you get the look you want.
After a breast lift, Dr. Wirth will give you a support bra to decrease swelling and to support your breasts while they heal. Until your swelling and soreness subside, it is recommended that you are careful that incisions do not experience any stress, motion, or abrasion. Aesthetic results are usually seen immediately after surgery. Over time, swelling will decrease and appearance of incisions will become less noticeable.
Another option for breast surgery is a breast reduction. Breast reduction surgery (reduction mammoplasty) can help women feel more confident in their appearance, and well as allow women to participate more freely in a wide range of activities. Women with large breasts suffer from physical discomfort, pain, restricted activity, emotional issues, and even physical issues. Women who suffer from these problems because of their breast size can schedule a consultation with Dr. Garrett Wirth to find out if they are a candidate for a breast reduction surgery.
Breast reduction is a same-day surgery, so expect to be home by the evening. There will be some discomfort, swelling, and possibly irritation immediately after surgery. After swelling subsides, normal color and skin tone will demonstrate your final result. You can usually see and feel the results of your surgery immediately and should continue to consult with your surgeon afterward to ensure no additional surgery will be necessary by protecting and maximizing this procedure.
Some possible side effects of breast reduction surgery include:
- Changes in breast and nipple sensitivity
- Loss of sensation of the nipple and areolae
- Loss of the nipple/areola
- Breast asymmetry
- Need for revision surgery
- Changes in ability to breastfeed
Breast augmentation, or a breast lift, is a great option for someone who has a small breast size, doesn't like their breast shape, or their breasts’ volumes don't match. Some of these can also come from weight loss or pregnancy.
So, what can you expect after your breast augmentation with or without a breast lift? Dr. Garrett Wirth will explain the specifics to you in your consultation, but a few things are typical in most recoveries.
- Usually you have a 1-5 day recovery period, with swelling and soreness occurring for a week or so.
- It is recommended that you reduce physical activity and avoid any pressure, stress, motion or abrasion at your incision sites.
- Results of the shape, size, and volume of your breasts will be seen immediately after surgery.
- After swelling and redness leave, breast will maintain normal color and skin tone.
- Many of the risks associated with a breast lift, as well as a breast reduction, can apply here as well, but implants also carry some other concerns, such as implant rupture and capsular contracture. Even though these risks are relatively low, they can be discussed during your consultation with Dr. Wirth.
Now you know what to expect both before and after breast surgery, no matter what form of surgery you choose. The most important thing to remember is to follow whatever instructions Dr. Wirth gives to you to maximize your results. For more information, call (949) 238-6713.